A special event permit is required for most temporary events or commercial filmings with an estimated number of participants and spectators exceeding 75 during any day of the event and that involves one or more of the following activities on public property or on private property where otherwise prohibited by law:
- Closing of a street;
- Blocking or restriction of property;
- Sale of merchandise, food or beverage;
- Erection of a tent larger than 400 square feet
- Installation of a stage, band shell, trailer, van, portable building or toilet, grandstand, or bleacher for public use; and,
- Placement of temporary no-parking, directional, over-size or identification signage or banners.
How to Apply for a Special Event Permit?
- Download the Special Event Permit Application.
- Complete the application in its entirety and submit the application with the applicable processing fee no less than 45 days prior to the event date.
- Upon receipt of the completed application, the Office of Special Events staff forwards a department review sheet to various city departments for final review and approval.
- Depending on the type of event, the applicant may be required to obtain additional permits or licenses.
- Upon final approval and review by the Special Events Manager, a permit is issued and includes certain conditions and/or restrictions the applicable will be held responsible for.